CHIA SEED FLAPJACKS
by Jo Pratt
PREPARATION TIME 10 minutes
COOKING TIME 30 minutes
6 tbsp coconut oil, plus extra for greasing
175g / 6oz / 1¾ cups rolled oats
100g / 3½ oz / scant 1 cup pecan nuts, roughly chopped
50g / 1¾ oz / 2/3 cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds
50g / 1¾ oz / 1/3 cup chia seeds
40g / 1½ oz / 1 cup coconut flakes
75g / 2½ oz / ½ cup dried cherries, cranberries or blueberries
100g / 3½ oz / 2/3 cup chopped dried figs or dates
½ tsp vanilla extract
115g / 4 oz / generous 1/3 cup honey
3 tbsp soft brown sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4. Oil and line a 20 x 30cm/8 x 12in cake pan with baking parchment.
2. Put the oats, pecans and seeds in a baking pan and toast in the oven for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden. Tip into a bowl and mix with the chia seeds, coconut flakes, dried fruit and vanilla extract.
3. In a small pan, heat together the coconut oil, honey and sugar, stirring until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture starts to boil. Simmer for 2 minutes, then pour over the oat mixture. Mix well, then tip into the prepared pan. Press into the edges with the back of a spoon and bake for 25–30 minutes, until lightly golden on top.
4. Remove and leave until completely cool before turning out and cutting into squares.
5. The flapjacks will keep in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.