Mummy Sausage & Pumpkin Pies
How about a really easy recipe which has a bit of a wow factor when you put it on the table. Halloween calls for Mummy Sausage & Pumpkin Pies!
Makes 9 portions
- 350g plain flour
- 175g salted butter, cubed
- 4 tbsp cold water
- 350g sausage meat
- 150g pumpkin purée
- 1 tsp dried sage
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 18 edible eyes
- Mixing bowl
- Lined baking tray
- Rolling pin
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (fan).
- In the large mixing bowl, combine the flour and butter by rubbing it together between your fingertips, until a crumb consistency is achieved. Add the water and bring together with your hands to form a pastry dough. Wrap the dough in cling film and pop in the freezer to rest while you make the filling.
- Wash up the mixing bowl then use it to combine the sausage meat, pumpkin purée, sage and salt. Set to one side.
- Take the dough out of the freezer and, on a lightly floured surface, roll it out into a large rectangle (2-3mm thickness) then portion into 12 smaller rectangles.
- Place 9 of the pastry rectangles onto the tray and spoon the sausage filling into the centre of each one leaving an index finger width border around every edge.
- Beat the egg, then use your finger to egg wash the edges of each pie.
- Cut the remaining 3 rectangles into 1 cm strips and lay them over the filling of each pie, using the egg washed edges to stick them. Trim if necessary.
- Use your finger to egg wash the strips then bake the pies for 20-25 minutes until golden. Allow to cool slightly before placing two edible eyes on each one and serving. They can also be enjoyed cold.
Recipe from the Easy Peasy Baking campaign, launched by UK Flour Millers, making baking simple. You can find more Easy Peasy Baking recipes and information on the campaign over on the Fab Flour website: https://fabflour.co.uk/easy-peasy-bakes/ or on social: @fab_flour on Instagram or @fabflour on Facebook and Twitter.