If you’re anything like us, you’re curious about jackfruit. Could this jackfruit crab cakes recipe be the one to push you into trying this unusual ingredient?
Vegan Jackfruit ‘Crab’ Cakes (Serves 2-3)
250g tinned chickpeas, drained
1tsp garlic, minced
½ tsp Dijon mustard
1tsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
100g panko breadcrumbs
Vegetable oil for deep frying
1 whole lemon, cut into 6 wedges
1 spring onion, thinly sliced, to garnish
Vegan mayonnaise to serve
1. In a food processer or using a potato masher, roughly blitz the chickpeas until you have a thick paste, retaining some pieces of the chickpeas for texture.
2. Roughly chop the jackfruit until it is shredded into medium sized pieces.
3. In a bowl combine the chickpeas, jackfruit, garlic, salt, Dijon mustard and coriander. Mix the ingredients together until combined.
4. Place the panko breadcrumbs onto a plate. Lightly wet your hands to make the mixture easier to handle, and then divide the mixture into 6 and form into patties using your hands. Place each patty onto the plate of breadcrumbs and coat well. Keep to the side and repeat with the remaining mixture.
5. Heat the vegetable oil in the deep fryer to 180°c and then cook the jackfruit cakes for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Cook 2-3 cakes at a time and then drain on kitchen paper once cooked.
6. Sprinkle over the thinly sliced spring onion and serve with the lemon wedges and vegan mayonnaise.
Recipe courtesy of Wing Yip, the UK’s largest Oriental grocer.