Join Wild About Play, a forest school in Putney, for half-term camps
Wild about Play, a forest school in Putney, is open for outdoor play this half-term. With birds-eye views of Putney Common and woods from their rooftop base camp at Oasis Academy, staff run their Ofsted-approved outdoor nursery all year round, after-school sessions during the school term, outdoor learning camps during school holiday breaks, and wild families’ sessions on select weekends. The mission is to spark, inspire and extend children’s imagination and learning at nursery and primary school age.
Highly-qualified practitioners curate sessions that incorporate the natural world and the EYFS curriculum into children’s education ensuring they unleash their full potential. Children are also encouraged to explore their surroundings and spearhead their learning through a mix of fun physical, musical, artistic and also construction challenges. The calming and rich effects of nature coupled with skilled adult support provides the framework to support meaningful play, enriching learning and developing key skills such as enquiry, expression, experimentation and also team work.
There are lots of reasons to follow a forest school pathway
Aside from physical fitness:
- Social skills and empathy: ‘Learning by doing’ in the outdoors stimulates our brain activity and helps contribute to collaborative learning skills (2017 Loughborough study ).
- Enhanced creativity, concentration and motivation for leaning (Feb 2018 Psychology today).
- Connection to each other and nature: gives an important sense of belonging to each other and their natural environment (April 2018 Woodland Trust).
- Stress management: Repeated interaction and connection with nature reduces cortisol levels especially in young people ( 09 Feb 2018 Psychology today ).
- Confidence and independence: Time, space and freedom to think and develop with the help of specialised practitioners working with tools and learning to negotiate risk ( June 2018 – Salmon talk to leaders of the Forest School Movement ).
What’s on offer at the camps:
Children will have fun enjoying the brand-new facilities on the rooftop of @oasisacademyputney with views of the Common, as well as heading out on adventures nearby. Activities include pumpkin carving, autumnal foraging, tribal fun, bird feeders, clay spider making and broomstick adventures.
Testimonials from Wild about Play families:
“Guilia like most of the children loves being outdoors so when I heard about Wild about Play I signed her up immediately. She has really enjoyed the sessions and even though she can be a bit shy, at Wild about Play she takes part in all the activities, has made new friends and always comes out happy, full of stories of her new adventures and ready for a good night’s sleep. The WaP team has been great”.
“Arthur loved his Wild about Play sessions. He particularly loved the camp fire and obstacle course and seemed to relish making bird feeders and learning about all the different trees on the Common and in the Church grounds. He is so full of enthusiasm for life when he comes back home”.
“Zac has thoroughly enjoyed the sessions and comes back tired and happy. Forest school is teaching him to understand and appreciate the world around him as well as working on his social skills”.
“Archie loves his after school sessions at WAP! The nurturing environment led by inspiring staff really engages him in a wide range of outdoor projects and activities. His favourite activity is making craft with natural materials – he’s been creating really imaginative models which have pride of place at home! He has also loved getting mucky with mud and roasting marshmallows on an open fire – every child’s dream!”
To book October half-term camps:
Oasis Academy Roof Top Garden
184 Lower Richmond Road